Friday, March 7, 2014

The Peasantry

For my first restaurant review, I would like to talk about this cute place in Lincoln Park called The Peasantry. Normally, I'm not into New American cuisine (the tiny portions disappoint me every time), but their website stated that they serve "elevated street food," which seemed right up my alley.

Image 1. You can eat outdoors. I did not, because Chiberia. I also did not take this picture.
I went there for lunch on a Saturday, as I was unaware that they serve brunch until 3PM on the weekends. However, this was hardly a disappointment, since...well, you know how I feel about breakfast food.

We started out with some triple truffle fries, which are waffle fries covered in truffle butter, truffle salt, and truffle oil. They were as heavenly as they sound. I know truffle oil is considered a disgrace to the culinary industry by many (I'm looking at you, Gordon Ramsay), but my neophyte taste buds took quite a liking to them.

For the main course, I ordered pork belly hollandaise, which is exactly what it sounds like; braised pork belly topped with two perfectly poached eggs and rich, creamy hollandaise sauce. They didn't come on an English muffin, though, nor did they come without bread as the brunch menu may suggest; instead, they came on two slices of toast as follows:

Image 2. Pork belly hollandaise
This was the best pork belly that I have ever had. It practically melted in my mouth! All in all, I had a highly pleasant experience; though the portions weren't large, the food was so rich that I didn't feel like I needed more. My only regret is that I had no one with whom I could split this lovely french toast. Maybe next time (because there will be a next time).

The Peasantry
2723 N. Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60614
773-868-4888
http://thepeasantry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment