Friday, March 21, 2014

Seafood paella

I must be on a major seafood kick, because right after I returned from GT Fish & Oyster, I decided to make this seafood paella.

Image 1. Seafood paella...in a cast-iron pan...with Italian rice.
Paella is named after the pan in which it is prepared, which is a wide, shallow metal pan that gets wider at the top, like this. I wasn't going to buy a something that I rarely use to fill up my already inadequate kitchen cabinet space, though, so I used my cast iron pan instead. It is also prepared with bomba (or Valencia) rice, but Trader Joe's did not carry it, so I opted for Arborio rice (otherwise known as Italian risotto rice). Any short-grain rice will do; just don't use basmati or anything crazy like that, because it won't taste right.

I am a much better cook than I am a baker, to be totally honest. I never even measure when I'm cooking, because it never matters. Even when I'm following a recipe I just write down the ingredients and season the food to my liking, substituting whenever appropriate. 

Here is a (very approximate) recipe for the paella that I made, and it serves two:
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 3/4 of an onion
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • A crapload of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
  • a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbsp paprika (you should use smoked, but I didn't have any)
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest (I used dried California lemon peel)
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • salt and black pepper
  • 1/2 lb of shrimp
  • 1/2 lb of mussels (shell included)
  • 1/4 lb of bay scallops
  • 1/3 c low sodium chicken broth
  • enough water to immerse the rice
And last but not least, the essential ingredient:
  • A pinch (approximately six threads) of saffron
Saffron is the most expensive spice by weight in the planet. It is 100% hand-picked; in other words, it is literally someone's job to just go around picking out these tiny threads from flowers, so you're mostly paying for the labor. If you're interested, you can read more about it here. I got this tiny bottle from Trader Joe's for $5.99.

Image 2. Saffron
Luckily you don't need a whole lot, as that can make the paella taste bitter and medicinal. You could also cut it with turmeric, which is "the poor man's saffron," and will give the rice the same yellow hue. I don't advise you to omit it, though, as paella without saffron is not truly paella.

The threads should be a vivid red and should secrete yellow dye when immersed in water. It looks like this:

Image 3. Saffron thread and lovely blue nail polish
It is also used in bouillabaisse and alone with rice for a nice, fragrant touch, so you will definitely have more uses for it! 

The first thing you need to do heat the cast iron pan and drizzle some olive oil. I know it is not recommended to cook with EVOO due to its low smoke point, but I usually set the heat on medium-low and it works just fine. If this unorthodox culinary rebellion perturbs you, feel free to use regular olive oil instead. Dice the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, then add the red pepper flakes and cup of rice. Let that sit for a minute.

Image 4. The aroma of just onions and garlic simmering in EVOO is intoxicating.
Peel off the shrimp tails (don't sever the shrimp tail, as there is still edible meat inside the tail! Simply peel the tail off) and combine with mussels and scallops in a steel bowl. Season with black pepper, paprika, and lemon juice (I find that things from the ocean don't really need more salt), and set aside.

Pour in the chicken broth and tomato sauce, then fully immerse the rice in water. Cut up some fresh parsley and add to the mix. Add more EVOO, paprika, lemon peel, and black pepper, then add a bit of salt to your liking. Let it simmer, allowing the rice to cook.

Image 5. Paella simmering...
Once the liquid is almost cooked off, add the seafood. Soon the paella will smell like the ocean, and not in a good way. Don't worry. Just add more lemon juice. It will be okay. I promise.

When all the liquid has evaporated, add more EVOO. Paella should be extremely greasy and crunchy at the same time due to the caramelized rice, so don't go easy on the oil. Just invert the bottle over the pan and let it go glug glug glug all over the place. If you're like me and you really like lemon, add a touch more lemon juice. Sprinkle some more fresh parsley over the top, and serve with some grilled veggies. Paella is also traditionally served with some lemon slices, but I didn't have any.

Image 6. DONE.
Now, I'm sure this paella is not quite authentic, but let me tell you, it was DELICIOUS. It's really hard to go wrong with onion, garlic, and olive oil. If seafood makes you queasy you could always substitute the shellfish for some sliced chicken breast and Spanish chorizo. I'm sure it will be just as yummy. :)

Paella requires a lot of ingredients, but it's really easy to make! Don't be intimidated. Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment