Friday, April 4, 2014

Hassle-free hayashi rice

I just realized that even though I'm Asian, I don't have an Asian recipe on this blog yet. BLASPHEMY! Seeing as I have an old bottle of cabernet that I bought for cooking purposes and I was kind of getting tired of making marinara sauce, I decided to try something different.

Thus began my journey of cooking hayashi rice.

Image 1. Hayashi sauce
Every Asian probably remembers buying these at their local Asian supermarket. I myself have never tasted hayashi rice made of anything other than this conveniently packaged block of hayashi rice sauce. The problem was, I didn't have any with me, and the nearest Asian market is a significant distance away. Besides, being that this is America, I had no idea how much they costed here and didn't want to be unpleasantly surprised.

So I started researching recipes and discovered that hayashi rice contains something called demi-glace. Another Google search came up with this, and I was thrown into a state of deep confusion. What is Espagnole sauce? What is brown stock? What is bouquet gami? I DON'T HAVE BEEF MARROW BONES. My mind was swimming. Thankfully, this episode by Cooking with Dog saved me.

Turns out, you just gotta make a roux, which is a fancy word for a fried ball of butter and flour. Sure, I thought. I can do that. And so can you! To serve three people, you just need:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • a decent amount of beef broth
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 a yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 small carrots, chopped
  • 1 lb cheap cut of beef, chopped (I used the same kind of meat used in beef stew)
  • 2 tbsp ketchup
  • the same amount of red wine as beef broth (I used cabernet)
  • 1/2 c crushed tomatoes
  • splash of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup steamed white long-grain rice
For the roux, melt one tablespoon of butter in a skillet on medium-low heat and add the flour, stirring with a wooden paddle. The mixture will brown, as seen below:
Image 2. Making the roux
When this occurs, take the skillet off the heat and stir in a splash of beef broth. Soon, the roux will come together in a thoroughly unappetizing fashion.

Image 3. Wut is dis
This is completely normal. Set aside for later.

Melt the other tablespoon of butter in the skillet, and add the minced garlic, diced onions, chopped carrots, and beef. Allow the meat to brown before coating thoroughly with ketchup.

Image 4. Grilled veggies and meat
Now pour in the red wine and remaining beef broth and allow the liquid to reduce on medium-high heat.

Image 5. Almost ready!
Lastly, add the crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and the roux you made earlier. The stew should thicken to a curry consistency in no time.

Image 6. Ready to be poured on rice.
Serve the stew with steamed rice and peas, topped with parsley and a drizzle of whipping cream. It's that simple.

Image 7. Ready for consumption
There you have it, folks! A recipe for hayashi rice without a trip to the Asian supermarket. A recipe so easy, you have no reason not to try it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment