Thursday, September 10, 2015

WNTD: 5 Burgers in Chicago That Are Better than Au Cheval's

Unless you have been living under a rock, you may have noticed that anyone who's anyone has been raving about Au Cheval's infamous cheeseburger. Ever since Food Network deemed its double cheeseburger the best burger in America, the lines at Au Cheval - which were already unmanagable at one or two hours on weekdays - have nearly doubled in size.

So is it worth it?

Absolutely not. I fancy myself a bit of a burger connoisseur, and I'll be sharing with you 5 burgers I have had that are better than Au Cheval's, and without the four hour wait.

5. Kuma's Corner

Seriously, if you are willing to wait hours for a burger, then you're much better off at Kuma's. Not only is the burger patty superior to Au Cheval's, but they also boast variety. The Slayer burger is their most famous burger and it is also a monstrosity in the best way possible. I haven't tried that one, but I've had their classic Kuma Burger and it was quite good.

Don't want to wait? Never fear; there are better options.

4. Brownstone

If you are a fan of the no-frills, classic cheeseburger as well as reasonable portion sizes, then Brownstone's cheeseburger is for you. I have since found a different favorite burger spot (see #1 below) but when I used to go there, I would go for the cheeseburger with a choice of chipotle gouda (which, to be honest, tastes no different from regular gouda - but I digress), the bison burger, or the turkey burger (swapping the patty for a beef one, of course). The turkey burger comes with avocado and "mixed greens," which included greens superior to lettuce such as arugula.

Pro tip: Always go for the tater tots instead of the fries - they are amazing but the fries are soggy.

3. Owen & Engine

This place is so underrated, it's not even funny. I won't go into much detail because I have already written a painstaking review here, but seriously, the burger here is so freakin' good. 

2. Little Goat Diner

In my "About me" page, I am holding the "Goat Almighty" burger from Little Goat Diner. This burger has the honor of being the only burger that I was forced to cut in half and eat piecemeal due to its sheer height. This burger consists of a goat patty topped with braised beef and bbq pork - a triple threat to the arteries - but surprisingly the best part of it all is the onion ring.

This onion ring was life-changing. When I bit into it, I began to question everything I knew about onion rings. The onion was just so flavorful and divine that I had to ask the waiter what they did to it. Apparently they pickle it in brine before they batter and deep fry it.

Mind. Blown. Why can't all onion rings be pickled beforehand?! PICKLED ONION RINGS, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE???!!!!!!

Anyway, when I came down from the epiphany of pickled onion rings, I was also able to recognize that the rest of the burger was quite delicious as well. I'll definitely be returning to try more of their burgers (and their breakfast, which looks amazing).

1. The Bad Apple

This. This is the place.

This place has it all. Amazing quality beef (apparently their distributor massages their cows like they do in Kobe!), great variety, quirky combinations, and spaciousness. Even on the busiest of weekends I have never waited more than 30 minutes, and I have literally been here like, 10 times.

I've already reviewed the "Grizzly Adams" here, which was my favorite burger for the longest time. I have since discovered a new favorite - "The Figs Is In" is everything I ever wanted in a burger and more. Its amazing patty is topped with a porter, fig, and bacon relish (there are huge chunks of fig in here!), goat cheese (I WORSHIP GOAT CHEESE), and smoked onion. I am salivating as I type.

Side note: They had a similar one called the "Edmund Fig-gerald" (the folks who name their burgers are very punny), but it was not nearly as good. They rotate their burger menu so if you order this one expecting something in the realm of "The Figs Is In", you will be disappointed.

The Bad Apple can do no wrong to my taste buds. I have had so many burgers there. I have had their "Slow Burn" which does indeed burn you very slowly - but it hurts so good. I have had "The Chupacabra" which is topped with goat chili. I have had the "Cowboy Killer" which is basically a full English breakfast in burger form. I am still too afraid to try their bacon and peanut butter burger, but it is definitely an item on my bucket list.

Please, do yourself a favor and pay The Bad Apple a visit. Bad Apple is love. Bad Apple is life.

Bonus: Next Door Gastropub

This isn't a place in Chicago but by Olympic National Park in Washington state. I had to mention it because I usually have very low expectations for small town restaurants, yet Next Door Gastropub can hold a candle to any of the restaurants above. For an in-depth review (and more Pacific Northwest noms), go here.

---

A quick disclaimer: I don't actually think the Au Cheval cheeseburger is bad. I actually think it's quite good. In fact, if you told me that Au Cheval's cheeseburger is the sixth best burger in Chicago behind the five that I mentioned above, I would say that's a reasonable assertion. That doesn't change the fact that it was underwhelming.

What was so underwhelming about it? First off, the star of the burger was the thick cut (I'm talking like a quarter inch thick) bacon. The patty itself, which to a burger is like the foundation of a house, was thin, therefore overcooked, and its quality was not nearly on par as the ones at the six aforementioned restaurants. Without the addition of the bacon and the fried egg, this burger is nothing. Au Cheval's burger is the real estate equivalent of a flawlessly decorated and furnished house that leaks when it rains.

I went back a second time and ordered the English breakfast. Once again, I was not impressed. The eggs were somehow rubbery and soggy at the same time. The beans tasted no different than those that come from a can.  I also apparently don't love fried tomatoes, but that one's on me.

The bacon, however, was the bomb.

Unimpressive breakfast is unimpressive
Despite my forewarning, if you still want to wait four hours to go to Au Cheval, then go ahead. You are entitled to your own opinion, after all.

Restaurants Mentioned:

Kuma's Corner
2900 W Belmont Ave
Chicago, IL 60618
(773) 604-8769
kumascorner.com

Brownstone
3937 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60613
(773) 528-3700
brownstonetavern.com

Owen & Engine
2700 N Western Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 235-2930
owenandengine.com

Little Goat Diner
820 W Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60607
(312) 888-3455
littlegoatchicago.com

The Bad Apple
4300 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60618
(773) 360-8406
badapplebar.com

Next Door Gastropub
113 W 1st St,
Port Angeles, WA 98362
(360) 504-2613
nextdoorgastropub.com

and finally...

Au Cheval
800 W Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60607
(312) 929-4580
auchevalchicago.com

No comments:

Post a Comment