Sunday, July 6, 2014

MOTD: Korean curry

As I may have mentioned, I have become less adventurous and ambitious in my culinary endeavors due to unfortunate obligations that come with being an adult. I have been channeling my creative energy toward meals that are delicious, nutritious, and require little preparation.

You may recall the good old days when I would make hayashi rice from scratch. Well, I can't say I do much of that anymore. However, I did manage to obtain the next best thing at my local (actually, it's a huge pain to get there, but it's still in the city) Korean grocery store.

Image 1. Korean Curry Powder
Korea's big on the "just add water" powder packets for curries, soups, and sauces. Surprisingly, the taste is not bad; it can actually be quite good. This little gem is labelled "Vermont curry - spicy taste." Why is it called Vermont curry, you ask? Well, allegedly, this curry is sweetened with honey from Vermont. How this tidbit could possibly be significant enough to name the whole thing after it, I don't know. Why does it have apples on the cover, you ask? Well, according to the ingredients, this curry is also sweetened with apples, although I cannot taste it.

Questionable labeling and random apples aside, this packet was pretty tasty.

I chopped up some garlic, onions, carrots, and pork chops, which were seasoned with black and red pepper. I then added some water and a touch of milk for some creaminess, as well as what I like to call the "curry spice trifecta": coriander, cumin, and turmeric.

Serve it over some white rice and you're done.

Image 2. Japanese curry rice
Enjoy! I like to eat mine with a side of kimchi. Takes me back...

No comments:

Post a Comment