Thursday, April 9, 2015

MOTD: Clam Chowder

It's been nine months since my last MOTD...

The truth is, when I'm not going on my wild food adventures I'm actually quite uninspired - I get home from work and feel too spent to try something new, so I end up just sticking to what I know for a quick 30-minute meal. I know, I know, but as I have said many times before - as much as I would like to explore the culinary world in depth on the daily, I have non-food-related adult responsibilities that take up most of my day.

I noticed, however, that clams were on sale on Peapod this week (which is an AMAZING service I recently started using and am kicking myself for not starting sooner), and being an avid fan of clam chowder, I decided to give it a try.

I basically used this recipe (without measuring, as usual), replacing canned clams with fresh ones and celery with liberal amounts of celery salt. The clams were practically sewn shut so I had to boil them beforehand to get to the goodness inside.

I had some stale bread on hand so I chopped them up and covered them with melted butter, minced garlic flakes, and sea salt. Pop them in the oven and you've got some bomb croutons. Don't buy croutons and don't throw away your old bread!

The result:

Such steady hands. I would be a good surgeon.
Not bad! Don't get me wrong, it was no GT F&O, but definitely a notch above this.

No comments:

Post a Comment