Friday, February 13, 2015

Foodventures: Orlando, FL

I was fortunate enough to grow up with the Harry Potter books as they were being released, and I was more disappointed than I would like to admit when I did not get my Hogwarts acceptance letter by owl post. Though I was old enough to know better (you must be at least eleven years old to enter Hogwarts), I couldn't help but be a part of that magical world.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was the closest that I, as a mere Muggle, would get to being at Hogwarts. I decided to pay a visit to the newly opened Diagon Alley and attempt a food adventure (though Orlando isn't much of a foodie city).

--

The first food-related pit stop I made was Border Grill Fresh-Mex en route to the hotel. I was ravenous after my flight and the cheap price point brought me there. I ordered the "Chicago burrito." I have no idea why it was named this, because it was just a normal burrito with all the typical burrito ingredients. I have to say, this was a decent burrito at best (I would rather get Chipotle), but it really hit the spot at the time (I was really hungry).

--

The next day at Universal Studios, I entered Honeydukes at Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure. I was excited to try Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, but alas, they were $11 and I could not justify such an asinine purchase. Moving on.

They aren't even magic though
--

My next stop was at Three Broomsticks to get a cold butterbeer. Sadly, this beverage was not nearly as amazing as it was depicted in the books - it was sickeningly sweet and topped with a cloying layer of solid fat that made me want to hurl. Perhaps magic is a required ingredient?

Gross
--

However, my attempts to eat somewhat decent food at a theme park were not in vain, because we stumbled upon Mythos Restaurant in an act of serendipity. Mythos was voted "Best Theme Park Restaurant" every year from 2003 to 2009 by ThemeParkInsider.com. True story. They were proud enough to place a banner above the entrance, so I couldn't help but be intrigued.

I ordered the Mythos Signature Burger, which was "topped with braised pulled pork, jalapeno jack cheese, creamy coleslaw, tabasco onions and smoked chili BBQ glaze served with french fries." I have to say, the pulled pork was quite tender and the jalapeno-laden cheese was pleasantly spicy. Not a bad burger - if Mythos was across the street from my house, I would definitely grab this burger fairly often.

--

The day after my long journey at Universal Studios, I headed to Hash House A Go Go for brunch. Before placing my order I was warned about the portion sizes and being a big eater, I scoffed. I ordered the French toast and this is what I got:

It was delicious though
I ate it all
The hubby ordered the "Andy's Sage Fried Chicken Benedict" and made it through half of it before throwing in the towel. I'm not much of a fried chicken person (and certainly not for breakfast), so I can't vouch for the taste. I was told it was enjoyable, though.

The beast
Hash House a Go Go opened a Chicago location in 2012, but personally I feel that there are better brunch places out there at a very reasonable price point (with very reasonable portions). If you are in Orlando on vacation, however, I highly recommend you give this place a try.

--

My ultimate destination was Cafe Tu Tu Tango, where we arrived just three short hours before our flight. The first tapa I ordered were the "Spiced Alligator Bites," as I was overwhelmed with curiosity at the thought of alligator meat. The texture is chewy, and the taste is somewhere between fish and chicken. Out of the ones we ordered, this was my least favorite (the more different kinds of meat that I try, the more I understand why we as a species settled on eating the meats that we do).

The restaurant had poor lighting...
My next dish was the "Cochinita Tacos," which contained everything I want in a taco: pulled pork, heaps of cilantro, raw onions, and a creme fraiche-esque topping. They were divine.

...again, my apologies...
The last tapa I had time to order before rushing to the airport were the "Grilled Guava Bbq Glazed Pork Ribs." The BBQ sauce was pleasantly sweet (though I could not taste the guava) and the ribs were accompanied by a vinegar-y cucumber salad that I enjoyed.

This is actually the best of the three photos
---

Orlando is very much a tourist trap with their chain restaurants, flashing lights, and devastating lack of public transportation. I must say, however, that the advent of Yelp allowed me to uncover some hidden gems in the Orlando restaurant scene. I hope this list can be useful to those who are planning a trip in the future.

Restaurants mentioned:

Border Grill Fresh-Mex
5695 Vineland Road, Suite A
Shoppes of Cypress Creek
Orlando, FL 32819
(407) 352-0101
bordergrillorlando.weebly.com

Three Broomsticks
6000 Universal Blvd
Orlando, FL 32819
(407) 363-8000
universalorlando.com/Restaurants/Islands-of-Adventure/Three-Broomsticks.aspx

Mythos Restaurant
6000 Universal Studios Plaza
Orlando, FL 32819
(407) 224-4534
universalorlando.com/Restaurants/Islands-of-Adventure/Mythos.aspx

Hash House A Go Go
5350 International Dr
Orlando, FL 32819
(407) 370-4646
hashhouseagogo.com

Cafe Tu Tu Tango
8625 International Dr
Orlando, FL 32819
(407) 248-2222
cafetututango.com

No comments:

Post a Comment