Monday, May 5, 2014

Bulgogi

For a while I debated whether to put this on my MOTD section or in here, because while I technically have a recipe, it is nearly identical to my Korean-style baby back ribs recipe, which makes this whole post rather redundant. After much rumination, I decided that I had to share, partly because the recipe turned out so well and partly because it is my first true Korean recipe on this blog.

Bulgogi (불고기) roughly translates to English as "fire-roasted beef," which I always thought was odd; how else would you roast beef if not with fire? Nevertheless, bulgogi is also the most universally loved Korean dish in existence; even if you've never had Korean food before, you will enjoy this.

Image 1. Bulgogi marinating
The marinade above is identical to the galbi one above, minus the addition of water. Flank steak is sliced thinly and then placed into the marinade for one hour. Once that's done, chop up some onions and carrots, heat up a pan with some canola oil, and throw everything on there until fully cooked. It's that simple!

Image 2. Sizzling bulgogi
Bulgogi is traditionally eaten with some ssamjang (see ribs recipe), roasted garlic, and lettuce. Basically, all the contents (and some plain white rice) are wrapped within the lettuce and devoured all in one go.

Again, I apologize for the unusually short recipe (and post), but I just had to share this recipe despite the redundancy. Whether you are an avid Korean food lover or not, I urge you to give this one a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment